bblogo 4th of July parade booklet of 1986

US Units 1945 - 1994

USCOB
Commanding BBDE Generals


U.S. LICENSE PLATES

bblogo



The U.S. Berlin Brigade (BBDE)

sector

sector Berlin Military District ---- July 4, 1945
Berlin Command ------------- Nov 1, 1946
Berlin-Military-Post -------- May 1, 1948
Berlin Command ------------- Dec 5, 1952
Berlin Brigade ---------------- Dec 1, 1961
sector


It is strictly prohibited to publish written contents or photos of this website without my written permission. (also the illegal use on other websites) All images on my website are property of their respective owner, all of them have copyrights! Prohibition of commercial use! The photos are from the private collection of -Berlin-Brigade.de. Many are selfmade, some others are gifts from friends or BBDE Veterans. I like to share the images with all my BBDE website visitors but it's just an ideological matter only! If a copyright should have been hurt by us, please send us a E-Mail and the appropriate images are deleted immediately.
Eine Veroeffentlichung von Texten und Fotos dieser Website ohne meine schriftliche Genehmigung ist strikt untersagt. (ebenso die illegale Benutzung auf anderen Webseiten) Alle Abbildungen stammen aus der Privatsammlung von -Berlin-Brigade.de-. Sie dienen ausschliesslich der ideellen Nutzung zum Zwecke der Erinnerung. Die Fotos wurden zum grossen Teil selbst gefertigt oder stammen aus Schenkungen. Das Urheberrecht bleibt bei allen Fotos uneingeschraenkt bestehen, eine kommerzielle Nutzung ist generell untersagt. Sollte unserseits ein Urheberrecht verletzt worden sein, so bitten wir um eine E-Mail und die entsprechenden Bilder werden sofort gelöscht.

Following Germany's World War II surrender, Berlin was occupied by Armed Forces of Britain, France, the Soviet Union, and the United States. US forces took charge of America's Occupation Sector in July 1945.

First US troops in Berlin were from the 2nd "Hell on Wheels" Armored Division who were soon replaced by elements of the 82nd "All American" Airborne Division and 78th "Lightening" Infantry Division. Shortly, these two divisions were withdrawn; replaced by the 3rd "Old Guard" Infantry Regiment which was inactivated in 1946.
3rd Battalion, 16th Infantry "Rangers" of the 1st Infantry Division, and 16th Constabulary Squadron (Separate) occupied Berlin's US Sector from 1946 until 1950 when 6th Infantry Regiment "GATORS" was activated to replace them.

Pentomic reorganization of 1958 replaced 6th Infantry Regiment with 2nd Battle Group, 6th Infantry, and 3rd Battle Group, 6th Infantry. The International Crisis caused by construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961 resulted in the Berlin Brigade being reinforced by units of the 8th "Golden Arrow" Infantry Division, 24th "Victory" Infantry Division, 4th "Ivy" Infantry Division, and 1st "Big Red One" Infantry Division until 1966.

Eight reinforced Battle Groups (3 month rotation) augmenting Berlin Brigade 1961-1963 each had about 2,100 men (including a light artillery battery, truck company, etc.). From 1963-1966 the 24th Infantry Division in West Germany rotated Infantry Battalions, of approximately 830 men each, into Berlin every 3 months.

Berlin Brigade's 1963 reorganization replaced 2nd & 3rd Battle Groups, 6th Infantry with 2nd Battalion, 6th Infantry; 3rd Battalion, 6th Infantry; and 4th Battalion, 18th Infantry "Vanguards" which was replaced in 1972 by 4th Battalion, 6th Infantry.

Another reorganization in 1984 replaced 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Battalions, 6th Infantry with 4th Battalion, 502nd Infantry; 5th Battalion, 502nd Infantry; and 6th Battalion, 502nd Infantry. These three "STRIKE" Battalions called Berlin "home" until American forces left Berlin in 1994.

The US Army maintained in Berlin four large military installations (McNair-, Andrews-, Roosevelt- and Turner Barracks)in Zehlendorf, that accommodated in addition to their three infantry battalions several other smaller units. Since July 1945 this had been the home of the American contingent of 6000 soldiers and their military motor pools. More than 100.000 female and male GIs had lived and worked there during the previous decades.

These consisted of a tank company (F Co. 40th Armor), combat support, reconnaissance, signal support, engineer and supply units like HHC, CSB, CSC, S&S Div., E 42nd , 94C Field Battery, E320 FB, US Hospital units, Det A (Special Forces) , US Drill team, US Brigade Band and 298th Army Band etc., as well as the 759th military police with its 272nd and 287th MP-Companies.

Zehlendorf was one of the six districts in the so-called American sector of West-Berlin. In Tempelhof, the US-Air Force filled the military area of the local Airport (TCA) with transport planes amongst other things, and its staff carried out the air surveillance that was vital for our city. A small helicopter squadron (Type Sikorsky or later Bell UH 1D) provided assistance for the extensive military tasks of the American forces. The sound of those helicopters are still in the memory of many Berliners.

Everything was directed from the US Headquarters (Clay-Compound) that was placed in the Clayallee, not far from the subway station (U-Bahn) Oskar-Helene-Heim. At Saargemuender Strasse, very next to it, the military radio station AFN (American Forces Network), well-known throughout the city, provided the musical entertainment. It was this familiar music in particular that build a 'bridge' for the GIs to their faraway home. The Berliners liked to listen the US music. The famous voices from Mark White and later on from Rick de Lisle are unforgotten. Many German juveniles loved to listen "Frolic at Five."

On the Truman-Plaza that lay directly opposite, their very own American-style shopping center offered all the essentials for the well-being of the US citizens. Passing the time was made easier for the soldiers and their families thanks to several clubs and four movies all of their own. (Outpost-, Columbia-, McNair- -& Andrews theater)

In a moving ceremony the Berlin Brigade, which had existed for 49 years, was dissolved on July 12th 1994 by Bill Clinton, the US President then in office. The ceremony took place in Berlin Lichterfelde on the "4th. of July Platz" (former the 4th ring), very next to the McNair Barracks.

Berlin was reunited and a free city again. The US mission was finished, the Berliners had to say "Good bye" to their American friends. They never forget what the Allies had done for them in the past.

When the US-army together with the British, French and first and foremost the Soviet troops had defeated the "monster" of the brown National Socialism or Nazi-regime, having to pay an immense toll of lives, the German people - like in this case the population of Berlin - experienced a new starting point. Like other war zones Germany was in ruins, former ideals had drifted away in a flood of tears and sorrow. The country's infrastructure had ceased to exist; the only things that counted were surviving and coping with the immediate future. Because of the general need people moved closer together in those years; modesty and thankfulness were not just phrases but practised every day. Soon the people of Berlin realized that they could not manage their every day problems on their own without being helped by others. Furthermore different political attitudes and bickering over responsibilities caused constant disputes among the Soviets and the three big victorious powers, which quickly led to their splitting. Berlin was divided into occupation zones or sectors and governed by different laws, regulations and decrees. Initially mistrust towards the German people was understandably great as the devastating war nightmare of recent years had left its marks in people's minds. Millions of humans had become victims of the insane dictatorship. For the Allies and those who had survived there was only one motto: "This may never happen again."

While economy in that part of Germany that was governed by the three Western Allies was thriving, the Eastern part controlled by the Soviets sank into a new dictatorship. The climax of this madness was the August 13rd 1961 when the GDR cut itself completely off from the West by means of a wall and barbed wire mercilessly making border troops shoot at their own people, who wanted to escape from this huge "state prison". Before a veritable avalanche of refugees had nearly bled the "socialist fatherland" to death. Regularly there were reports of daring cases of escape in the Western daily press; completely unimpressed by this, however, the SED-regime continued to shoot. Helplessly especially the inhabitants of West Berlin and the Western Allies had to watch the inhuman activities at the obstacles at the German-German border. Those who had once witnessed the numerous cowardly and underhanded killings at the unnatural border could hardly believe that on November 9th 1989 the wall suddenly came down over night and that as a result the German people regained democratic unity.

In West Berlin sympathy and ties of friendship had long since replaced the initial mistrust and caution the young US soldiers had felt for the population of Berlin after the end of World War II. The former victors and occupants had turned into Berlin's protecting powers.

Germans and Americans lived closely together, frequently met in the streets or at many celebrations of a private and military nature. The inhabitants of West Berlin liked "their" Americans, the Americans appreciated the population.

However, it is undisputed that everything in life has got two sides. Where there is light, there is also shadow. Besides the many positive aspects surely everybody experienced the negative ones as well. There certainly were different opinions causing friction from time to time that clearly showed that a lot of what was considered as "normal" in those years could only be a provisional solution related to this particular situation. However, the majority of the Berliners will surely conclude: "Thank God, that there were the Western Allies, like here our Americans!" Because of their great initiative this happy ending was finally achieved. Therefore we have to express our sincere feelings of thankfulness.

The Berlin Brigade was dissolved, however, it shall always be kept in a worthy place in our memories. This is why I have written two little books that deal with this long, exciting period of time. With the help of little stories the reader will be taken back to the time of the Allies. People of our present generation can hardly imagine a lot of what was regarded as "normal" in those days. I believe it is particularly important that this period will be kept from falling into oblivion.

© Berlin-Brigade.de
 

4th of July parade booklet of 1986

4july

THE HISTORY OF BERLIN UNITS
THE US COMMAND, BERLIN

The formation of the US Command, Berlin, marked the end of the military government era in Germany. It was created on 1 September 1949 when the seventh American Commandant in Berlin, Major General Maxwell D. Taylor, became the first US Commander (USCOB). The American Commandant commands the US Army, Berlin, and as the personal representative of the US Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany, he is the Deputy Chief of the U.S.Mission, Berlin (State Department). In charge of the Mission, the American Minister is the US Deputy Commandant. Together with the Commandant, he represents the United States in the Allied Kommandatura, the organ through which the United States, Great Britain, and France exercise their governmental authority and responsibilities for the Western Sectors of Berlin. The responsibilities and missions of the Deputy Commander, US Army, Berlin, are exercised by the Commanding General, Berlin Brigade.

THE BERLIN BRIGADE

abz

The Berlin Brigade is the combat arm of the US Command, Berlin. Under that name, the US Garrison in Berlin was reorganized at the height of the Berlin Wall crisis. It was created from units already in Berlin by General Orders from the Commander-in-Chief, United States Army, Europe. He ordered that from 1 December 1961, the core of the United States military presence in Berlin, the living symbol of America's protection for the people of free Berlin, would be known as the United States Army Berlin Brigade.
Between 4 July 1945 and 1 December 1961 the security force in Berlin had been known by several different names. During the first eight months of the occupation, three famous American divisions in succession occupied the former capital of the German nation: The 2d Armored Division, the 82d Airborne Division, and the 78th "Lightning" Infantry Division. During the early post-war years, the Brigade was variously known as the Berlin Military Post, Berlin Command, and the US Army Garrison, Berlin. For nearly two decades the combat unit has borne with pride the name Berlin Brigade. The Brigade has come to symbolize the pride and traditions for tens of thousands of men and women of the United States Army who have served their country and the cause of freedom east of the Elbe. All privileged to serve with the Berlin Brigade proudly claim the title "Defenders of Freedom."
The Berlin Brigade stands ready to defend this city against any hostile aggression regardless of its intent and magnitude. No force of its size in history has contributed more to peace and freedom in the world.

THE 502d U.S. INFANTRY

abz

The fighting heart of the Berlin Brigade is its three battalions of the 502d infantry. The 502d Infantry was activated on 2 March 1942, at FT Benning, Georgia, as the 502d Parachute Infantry. In August 1942, it was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. For the next 22 months the 502d trained hard preparing for the 101st 's now celebrated "rendezvous with destiny." During the early morning hours of 6 June 1944, paratroopers of the 502d jumped behind the beaches of Normandy thus becoming among the first Allied soldiers to land in Europe. As part of the 101st the 502d participated in the Normandy, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe campaigns. The symbolism of the unit's coat of arms record its participation in WWII battles, now famous in American military history. The eagle's claw and feathers are representations of the airborne functions of the organization. The bayonets refer to the unit's bayonet charge at Carentan during the Normandy invasion. Orange, the color of the Netherlands, refers to the liberation of Best, Holland. The white four bastioned fort circled by a black background represents Bastogne, Belgium, surrounded by German troops during the Battle of the Bulge. The ermine spot on the white fort refers to the snow which covered the battleground. LTC Robert G. Cole led a bayonet charge at Carentan, an act of heroism for which he received the Medal of Honor. At Normandy, the 502d earned its first Presidential Unit Citation. At Best, Holland, PFC Joe E. Mann displayed the courage that has become a part of the 502d tradition. A grenade landed near Mann, as his platoon had been surrounded and was under attack. Without hesitation, PFC Mann threw himself on the grenade and gave his life for his comrades. For his heroic act Mann received the Medal of Honor. At Bastogne, BG Anthony C. McAuliffe spoke in the name of all men in the 502d when he said "nuts" to the German Commander who had demanded surrender. For its fighting spirit at Bastogne the 502d added a second WWII Presidential Unit Citation to its colors.
The 502d was again called to battle in 1965. As a unit of the 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division, the 502d landed at Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam on 29 July of that year and remained in Vietnam throughout the entire war. In early 1972, along with the rest of the 101st, the 502d redeployed to the Unite States. The Screaming Eagles were one of the last divisions to leave the combat zone. Two more Presidential Unit Citations and four valorous unit awards testify to their distinguished combat record in Vietnam. PFC Milton Lee was one of three 502d soldiers awarded the Medal of Honor in Vietnam. His acts symbolized the spirit that guided the men of the 502d throughout the war. On 26 April 1968, Lee, a radio-telephone operator with the 3d platoon, Co B, 2d Battalion, observed four North Vietnamese establishing an ambush. Lee attacked the position, wiped it out, and continued fighting until he fell mortally wounded. On June 29, 1984, the three infantry battalions in Berlin were redesignated the 4th, 5th, 6th Battalions of the 502d U.S. Infantry.

COMBAT SUPPORT BATTALION

abz

Combat Support Battalion received its present designation as a result of a reorganization of brigade units that became effective on 1 August 1979. It consists of Company F, 40th Armor; Battery C, 94th Field Artillery; the 42d Engineer Company; the 43d Chemical Detachment; and the Helmstedt Support Detachment. Its lineage as a separate unit is derived from the 7780th Composite Service Battalion which was organized in Berlin in July 1945. Under the designation US Army Berlin Brigade Special Troops, it was first authorized its Distinctive Insignia in July 1968. Its "crest" consists of a flaming torch, two battle axes, the Berlin Wall, and the motto, "Serves the Select." As described by the Institude of Heraldry, "the flaming torch rising from behind the wall symbolizes the free city of Berlin and the 'Wall of Shame' which seals it off from the rest of the world." The battle axes supporting the torch refer to the Battalion's missions and role in safeguarding the city's freedom.

COMPANY F 40th ARMOR

abz

Company F, 40th Armor, is a separate numbered company under the US Army's Combat Arms Regimental System. Its parent unit was first constituted in 1941. On 8 May 1941 it was designated the 40th Armored Regiment and served with the 74th Armored Division during WW II.
The Regiment saw action in northern France, the Rhineland, the Alsace and Ardennes campaigns, and Central Europe. The Regiment was awarded the Belgian Fourragere for its actions against an armed enemy and it was twice cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for exemplary conduct in combat (1944 and 1945).
The parent Regiment and Company F were redesignated and reassigned several times during the post-war era. In 1957 it was reconstituted in the Regular Army. On 2 May 1958, it was designated Company F (Patton), 40th Armor. Company F has served continuously in Berlin since 1 June 1958.

BATTERY C, 94th FIELD ARTILLERY

abz

Battery C, 94th Field Artillery, was constituted on 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army. It was redesignated Battery C, 94th Armored Field Artillery Battalion 1 January 1942. In WW II, it participated in the Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe campaigns. It earned the Distinguished Unit Citation Streamer (embroidered Ardennes) and the French Croix de Guerre (Fourragere).
Battery C, 94th Field Artillery, was reactivated in 1963. It has served continuously with the Berlin Brigade since 1 September 1963.

BATTERY E, 320th FIELD ARTILLERY

abz

Battery E, 320th Field Artillery was constituted on 15 August 1917 as an element of the 82nd Division. It was absorbed by Battery B, 320th Field Artillery Battalion, on 30 January 1942, and soon thereafter redesignated Battery B, 320th Glider Field Artillery Battalion. The 82nd Division was designated Airborne on August 1942.
Former Battery E, 320th Field Artillery was reconstituted on 22 March 1957 in the regular Army, and on 2 October 1986, absorbed Battery C, 94th Field Artillery, upon its reactivation and assignment as an element of the Berlin Brigade. Battery E's parent Regiment is the 320th Division Artillery, 101st Airborne Division.

42d ENGINEER COMPANY

abz

The 42d Engineer Company was activated in Louisiana on 30 September 1944. During WW II, it was the only unit of the Berlin Brigade to see active service in both the European and Pacific Theaters of war. It has served continuously with the Berlin Brigade since September 1963.

287th MILITARY POLICE COMPANY (SEPARATE)

abz

The original parent organization of the 287th MP Company was activated at Fort Ontario, New York, on 5 September 1942 as the 759th MP Battalion. During WW II it saw service in North Africa, Italy, France, and Germany. It was assigned to Berlin on 30 September 1945. It remained in Berlin, and was reorganized into two separate MP companies in October 1953. Since that time, the 287 MP Company has seen continuous service in Berlin. In addition to the usual police functions, the 287th provides the US contingents at Allied Checkpoints ALPHA (Helmstedt), BRAVO (Drewitz) and CHARLIE (Friedrichstrasse). It also provides the guard complement of the US duty trains operating between Berlin and the Federal Republic.

BERLIN BRIGADE BAND

abz

The Berlin Brigade Band, known as the 298th Army Band, has seen the longest continuous service in Berlin of any unit assigned to the Brigade. It deployed directly from United Kingdom to Berlin during the second week of July 1945. During its first months in Berlin, the Berlin Brigade Band participated in the honors rendered to President Truman, General Eisenhower, General Bradley, and General Patton. During the 49 years since 1945, the list of American and Allied dignitaries for whom the Band has performed has grown very long indeed, including President John F. Kennedy (1963), President Richard Nixon (1969), President Jimmy Carter (1978), President Ronald Reagan (1982), President George H.W. Bush, and at the end of all, President Bill Clinton (1994). By him the Berlin Brigade has got its finally dissolution. (At the 4th of July Platz, former 4 Ring, right next to McNair Barracks.) Old Berliner are missing that legendary unit.

THE U.S. AIR FORCE IN BERLIN

abz

At the end of WW II, the Air Force was assigned control of Tempelhof Central Airport and the mission of controlling all Allied air traffic entering and leaving the three air corridors to Berlin. In June 1948 when the Berlin Blockade began, the Air Force initiated "Opration Vittles," and the first flights to supply the beleaguered city began. With the participation of Great Britain and France, the Berlin Airlift achieved its objective on 12 May 1949 when the Blockade was lifted.
The 7350th Air Base Group is the US Air Force's host unit in Berlin providing support to ten other separate USAF units in the city. These Air Force units include the 6912th Electronic Security Group, 1946th Communications Squadron, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, and APO Postal Detachment, plus supporting Air Force elements in the Berlin Air Safety Center, Foreign Technology Division, US Military Liaison Mission, Joint Allied Refugee Operations Center, Allied Staff Berlin, and the Armed Forces Radio and Television Network.

Following unit information comes from another 4th of July U.S. parade booklet (1970)

THE SIXTH U.S. INFANTRY

abz

6th Infantry Regiment, 1950 - 1958
2nd & 3rd Battle Groups, 6th Infantry, 1958 - 1963
2nd, 3rd, & 4th Battalions, 6th Infantry, 1963 - 1984

abz              abz

The Sixth United States Infantry was born during a stormy period of American history, nourished on the ideals set forth in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and reached maturity on the fields of unnumerable campaigns in nine separate wars. It also has the distinction of having been commanded by Colonel Zachary Taylor, who later become the 12th President of the United States.

The present Sixth United States Infantry traces its linage back to January 11, 1812, when the Congress authorized a strengthening of the regular Army in preparation for the threatening conflict that became known as the War of 1812.

The unit was first known as the 11th Infantry Regiment and served as such on the Canadian border throughout the War of 1812. At the end of the War the 11th Infantry was consolidated with four other Infantry Regiments to the Sixth U.S. Infantry Regiment. The new regimental number -6- was based on the fact that the Commanding Officer, Colonel Henry Atkinson, was the sixth ranking colonel among all the regimental commanders of the U.S. Army.

As a result of the westward expansion of America, the Sixth regiment was assigned to the western frontier of the nation in 1819 and built Fort Atkinson at Council Bluffs on the Missouri River.

In 1827, the Regiment moved from Fort Atkinson to Jefferson Barracks, Missouri, where the city of St. Louis is now located. Two years later, four companies of the Regiment were assigned escort duty along the Santa Fe Trail protecting traders and travelers. In 1813 the unit of Regiment were called together again at Jefferson Barracks to take the field against the Sac and Fox Indians in the Blackhawk war. In 1836, the entire Regiment left Jefferson Barracks for Florida via Louisiana.

As part of a force commanded by Colonel Zachary Taylor, the regiment entered the Seminole Indian War in eastern Florida in 1837. The Regiment remained in Florida until restoration of peace and then returned to Jefferson Barracks in 1842. In 1843, Brevet Brigadier General Zachary Taylor became Colonel of the Sixth Infantry. The regiment was attached to General Winfield Scott's Army during the Mexican War and through its gallant actions won five battle streamers. The Sixth Infantry remained as part of the occupation Army in Mexico until 1848 when it returned to Jefferson Barracks.

For the next ten years, elements of the Regiment were scattered over the western frontier and saw duty in what are now the States of Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Missouri, and the Dakotas, against the various Indian tribes. In January 1858, the Regiment made a grand march across the continent from Fort Leavenworth to the Pacific Ocean.

In World War I, the Regiment trained under the 26th Division in France and then joined the 5th Division for service throughout the war, earning four more battle streamers for its actions. Between World Wars I and II, the Regiment trained with 5th and 6th Divisions before joining the 1st Armored Division for action in World War II. Fighting as armored infantry, the Regiment played an important role in the North African invasion and campaign. It fought its way through Algeria, French Morocco, and Tunisia before participating in the Sicilian Campaign.

In late 1943, the regiment was committed in the Naples-Foggia area and was given the mission of assaulting the Axis stronghold at Mount Porchia. In 13 days of bitter fighting, the Regiment was employed in the Anzio beachhead in 1944 and operated throughout the Rome-Arno campaign. Later the Sixth was broken up in a reorganization, but elements of the Regiment earned two more battle streamers in Northern Italy before the end of the war.

From 1945 to 1950, the Regiment was assigned throughout the American Zone of Occupation in West-Germany. On October 10, 1950, the Regiment was reconstituted and assigned to West-Berlin. The 2nd and 3rd Battalions, Sixth Infantry, which continue to serve in Berlin, were organized as battalions in September 1963 under U.S. Army's present system of organization.

THE 18th U.S. INFANTRY

abz

The 18th Infantry Regiment possesses a proud fighting heritage that dates back to the War of 1812. From its constitution in 1812 until the present, the Regiment has participated in thirtyone campaigns involving all major conflicts of the United States.

Upon the outbreak of World War II, the Regiment received orders that precipitated the longest and toughest stint of campaigning in its history.

In 1955, the regiment moved to Fort Riley, Kansas, with the 1st Division. The 18th Infantry Regiment was reorganized under the Pentomic structure as the 1st Battle Group,18th Infantry, in 1957. In 1958, the 18th Infantry returned to Germany again. On August 13, 1961, when East Germans divided the free city of Berlin with the infamous Wall, the 18th Infantry was ordered by President John F. Kennedy to augment the Berlin Brigade. More than a half million people including the then Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson greeted the 18th Infantry on its arrival in Berlin. The 1st Battle Group, 18th Infantry returned to West Germany in December of 1961.

On September 22, 1963, the 4th Battalion, 18th Infantry was organized in Berlin along with the 2nd and 3rd Battalion, 6th Infantry, out of elements of the 2nd and 3rd Battle Groups, 6th Infantry, during the reorganization of Army Divisions.

SPECIAL TROOPS, BERLIN BRIGADE

abz              abz              abz

Special Troops, Berlin Brigade, was organized in July 1945 as the 7780th Composite Service Battalion. The unit name was changed to Headquarters and Service Battalion , 7781st Army Unit, and later to Special Troops, United States Army Garrison. On December 1, 1961, it was changed to the present ( 1970) designation.

The Special Troops mission is to provide personnel, administrative, and logistical support to Berlin Brigade.

The following units were assigned to Special Troops, Berlin Brigade:

Headquarters &Headquarters Company
Service Company
42nd Engineer Company
287th Military Police Company
592nd Signal Company
298thArmy Band
Helmstedt Support Detachment
Aviation Detachment

 


Served with pride
UNITED STATES FORCES in BERLIN
sent to Berlin from 1945-1994

We Berliners are very thankful to had them on our side!

abzeichen

2nd Armored Division ------------------------------------------------ 1945
82nd Airborne Division ----------------------------------------------- 1945
      325th Glider Infantry Regiment
      504th Parachute Infantry Regiment
      505th Parachute Infantry Regiment
78th Infantry Division ------------------------------------------------- 1945-1946
      309th Infantry Regiment
      310th Infantry Regiment
      311th Infantry Regiment
11th Traffic Regulation Group (TRC), Detachment C, ---------- 1945-1947
483rd Air Service Group --------------------------------------------- 1945-1948
US Military Liasion Mission, Potsdam (MLM) ------------------- 1945-1990
7771st Document Center---------------------------------------------1946-1994
Armed Forces Network Europe-Berlin --------------------------- 1945-1994
298th US Army Band ------------------------------------------------ 1945-1994
822nd MP -Co. ------------------------------------------------------ 1945
388th MP -Co. ------------------------------------------------------ 1945
296th MP -Co. ------------------------------------------------------ 1945
18th MP Service Detachment ---------------------------------------- 1947 - 1949
388th MP Service Platoon (Hospital) -------------------------------- 1947 - 1949
62nd MP Highway patrol unit section ----------------------------- 1949 - 1953
553rd Quartermaster Group ------------------------------------------ 1945-1946
95th Quartermaster Battalion ----------------------------------------- 1946
279th Field Station Hospital ------------------------------------------ 1945-1976
US Army Hospital ---------------------------------------------------- 1976-1994
3110th Signal Service Battalion --------------------------------------- 1945-1948
168th Medical Detachment ------------------------------------------- 1947-1994
Berlin Military District ------------------------------------------------ 1945-1950
6th InfantryRegiment -------------------------------------------------- 1950-1958
759th Military Police Battalion ---------------------------------------- 1945-1953
Horse Platoon 287th MP Company (Separate) ------------------------ 1945-1958
540th MP Co, Co. B, 2nd Platoon, Railway Guards ------------- 1949-1956
570th MP Co. Railway Guards --------------------------------------- 1957-1979
42nd Military Police Group ------------------------------------------- 1973-1994
272nd MP-Co. (since 1947 combined US/German police duty) -- 1953-1958
287th MP-Co. (combined US/German police duty) ------------------ 1953-1994
MP Helmstedt Detachment ------------------------------------------- 1946-1961
Helmstedt Support Detachment --------------------------------------- 1961-1990
16th Cavalry Group -------------------------------------------------- 1945
16th Constabulary Squadron ----------------------------------------- 1946-1950
7782nd Special Troops Battalion ------------------------------------- 1947-1994
39th Special Forces Det A ------------------------------------------- 1956 - 1958
7781st Army unit Det A ---------------------------------------------- 1958 - 1984
Physical Security Element Berlin (PSSE-B) --------------------------- 1984 - 1994
S2 HQ Berlin District Command -------------------------------------- 1945 - 1949
Intelligence Office - COB --------------------------------------------- 1950 - 1961
DCSI Berlin Command ----------------------------------------------- 1961 - 1994
979th CIC Detachment ----------------------------------------------- 1945-1950
66th CIC Detachment, 66th CIC Group ------------------------------ 1950-1961
66th MI Group -Field Station- ---------------------------------------- 1961-1969
766th MID, 66th MI Group ------------------------------------------ 1969-1994
JAROC-B (from18th MI Batt. & 66th MI Group) -------------------- 1950-1992
7829th Military Intelligence Platoon ----------------------------------- 1946-1949
7880th Military Intelligence Detachment ------------------------------ 1949-1957
513th Int. Collection Group ( Berlin Station) -------------------------- 1948-1975
US Army Evalutation Unit -------------------------------------------- 1962-1994
168th Medical Detachment (VS) ------------------------------------- 1947-1994
Field Station Berlin-(FSB) -------------------------------------------- 1949-1994
280th ASA Company ------------------------------------------------ 1957-1961
9539th Technical Service Unit (Signal Corps) ------------------------- 1954
22nd ASA Detachment ----------------------------------------------- 1955-1957
260th ASA Detachment ---------------------------------------------- 1957
78th Special Operations Unit ----------------------------------------- 1961-1966
54th USASA Special Operations Command -------------------------- 1966-1967
7350th US Air Base Group ------------------------------------------- 1948-1993
C Battery 94th Field Artillery ----------------------------------------- 1963-1986
Company F, 40th Armor Reg.(Turner Tankers) ----------------------- 1958-1990
6th Battalion, 40th Armor Reg ---------------------------------------- 1990-1992
503rd ENG Company ------------------------------------------------ 1949
7762th ENG Battalion ------------------------------------------------ 1946 - 1952
579th ENG Company ------------------------------------------------ 1946 - 1952
581st ENG Company ------------------------------------------------ 1946 - 1952
20th ENG, A Company ---------------------------------------------- 1958 - 1963
42nd Engineer Company --------------------------------------------- 1963-1994
592nd Signal Company (Support)------------------------------------- 1959-1979
Berlin Aviation Detachment ------------------------------------------- 1962-1994
16th Inf./3rd Battalion (1st Inf. Div.) ---------------------------------- 1946-1950
US Army Europe / Tech. Intel. Center, Field Team No. 3 ------ 1962-1994
1st B.G. (8th Inf Div) & 4th Battalion / 18th Inf. ---------------------- 1961, 1963-1972
2nd Battle Group / 47th Inf.(4th Inf. Div.) ----------------------------- 1962
1st Battle Group / 8th Inf.(4th Inf. Div.) ------------------------------- 1962
2nd Battle Group / 12th Inf.(1st Inf. Div.) ----------------------------- 1962-1963
1st Battle Group / 13th Inf.(1st Inf. Div.) ------------------------------ 1963
1st B.G., 2nd & 3rd Battalions/19th Inf. (24th Inf. Div.) ------------ 1961, 1964-1965
1st & 2nd Battalions / 34th Inf.(24th Inf. Div.) ------------------------ 1963-65
1st Battle Group / 28th Inf.(-the Black Lions-from 1st Inf. Div.) -- 1963
2nd Battle Group / 26th Inf. (1st Inf. Div.) ---------------------------- 1963
1st & 2nd Battalions / 21st Inf. (24th Inf. Div) ------------------------ 1964, 1966
2nd Battle Group, 6th Infantry ----------------------------------------- 1958-1963
3rd Battle Group, 6th Infantry ----------------------------------------- 1958-1963
2nd Battalion, 6th Infantry --------------------------------------------- 1963-1984
3rd Battalion, 6th Infantry --------------------------------------------- 1963-1984
4th Battalion, 6th Infantry --------------------------------------------- 1972-1984
US-Army Berlin-Brigade (BBDE) ------------------------------------ 1961-1994
8001st US Army Reserve -------------------------------------------- 1980-1994
43rd Chemical Detachment ------------------------------------------- 1982-1994
E Battery 320th Field Artillery ---------------------------------------- 1986-1994
4th Battalions 502nd Infantry Regiment (STRIKE) ----------------- 1984-1990
5th / 6th Battalions 502nd Infantry Regiment (STRIKE) ------------ 1984-1994


LONG THRUST Units in Berlin 1961-1966
Source: USAREUR's History Office

20 Aug 611st BG, 18th Inf attached to Berlin Command
8-15 Dec 611st BG 19th Inf
Mar 627th Army augmentation to Berlin withdrawn, 2nd BG, 47th Inf (CONUS) to Berlin
Jun 621st BG 8th Inf
Sep 622nd BG 12th Inf
Dec 621st BG 13th Inf
Mar 631st BG 28th Inf
Jul 632nd BG 26th Inf
Oct 632nd BN 34th Inf (full BGs no longer sent-only battalions)
Jan 641-34 Inf replaces 2-34 Inf
Apr 64 1-21 Inf
Jul 64 3-19 Inf
Oct 642-21 Inf
Jan 652-19 Inf
Apr 651-34 Inf
Jul 652-34 Inf
Oct 651-21 Inf
Jan 661-21 Inf departs Berlin; last augmentation battalion


U.S. Air Force units ( TCA)
(overview source: -www.western-allies-berlin.com- / David)

Transport units:
301st Troop Carrier Squadron (1945-1946)
47th Troop Carrier Squadron (1946-1947)
12th Troop Carrier Squadron (1947-1948)
53rd Troop Carrier Squadron (1948-1949)

Police units:
1119th MP Company AVN, TCA, (1945-1948)
100th Complement Squadron, Army Air Force (1945-1947)
7352nd Air Police Squadron (1949)
7350th Air Police Squadron (1965-1993)
7350th Security Police Squadron (1965-1993)

Signal units:
788th AAF Base Unit (1947-1948)
1946th Air Com. Squadron (1948-1953)
1946th AACS SQ/Com. Squadron (1954-1993)

HQ & Support & units:
473rd Air Service Group (1945-1946)
715th Air Material Group (1945-1946)
891st Air Engineer Squadron (1945-1946)
808th Air Engineer Squadron (1946-1947)
632nd Air Material Squadron (1947)
HQ & Base Service Squadron (1947)
Tempelhof Base Unit (1947)
7351st Maintenance & Support Squadron (1948-1949)
7350th Air Base Group (1948-1993)
-Air Traffic Control Operations (AT)
-6912th Electronic Security Group (ESG)
-7025th Air Postal
Detachment 2, 435th Operations Group (1993-1994)
Detachment 1, 435th Air Wings (1993-1994)

 

U.S. COMMANDERS in BERLIN

MG Floyd L. Parks4 July 1945 - 2 September 1945
MG James M. Gavin3 September 1945 - 10 October 1945
MG Ray W. Barker11 October 1945 - 1 May 1946
MG Frank A. Keating1 May 1946 - 13 May 1947
MG Cornelius E. Ryan14 May 1947 - 23 September 1947
MG William Hesketh24 September 1947 - 30 November 1947
MG Frank Leo Howley1 December 1947 - 31 August 1949
MG Maxwell D. Taylor31 Aug 1949 - 31 Jan 1951
MG Lemuel Mathewson01 Feb 1951 - 02 Jan 1953
MG Thomas S. Timbermann03 Jan 1953 - 04 Aug 1954
MG George Honnen05. Aug 1954 - 09.Sep 1955
MG Charles L. Dasher10. Sep 1955 - 02 Jun 1957
MG Barksdale Hamlett03 Jun 1957 - 14 Dec 1959
MG Ralph M. Osborne15 Dec 1959 - 04 May 1961
MG Albert Watson II05 May 1961 - 02 Jan 1963
MG James K. Polk02 Jan 1963 - 31 Aug 1964
MG John F. Franklin, Jr.01 Sep 1964 - 03 Jun 1967
MG Robert G. Fergusson03 Jun 1967 - 28 Feb 1970
MG George M. Seignious II28 Feb 1970 - 12 May 1971
MG William W. Cobb12 May 1971 - 10 Jun 1974
MG Sam S. Walker10 Jun 1974 - 11 Aug 1975
MG Joseph C. McDonough11 Aug 1975 - 07 Jun 1978
MG Calvert P. Benedict07 Jun 1978 - 05 Jul 1981
MG James G. Boatner05 Jun 1981 - 27 Jun 1984
MG John H. Mitchell27. Jun 1984 - 01 Jun 1988
MG Raymond E. Haddock01 Jun 1988 - 03 Oct 1990


COMMANDING GENERALS
of the BERLIN BRIGADE

BG Maurice W. DanielJun 1950 - Jul 1953
BG Charles F. Craig19 Jul 1953 - 08 Apr 1954
BG Francis T. Pachler08 May 1954 - 07 Dec 1955
MG Hugh P. Harris08 Dec 1955 - 30 Sep 1956
BG George T. Duncan01 Oct 1956 - 01 Sep 1958
BG Charles S. D'Orsa05 Sep 1958 - 15 Jan 1960
BG Charles E. Johnson III15 Jan 1960 - 30 Jul 1961
BG Frederick O. Hartel30 Jul 1961 - 05 Jul 1964
BG John A. Hay, Jr.05. Jul 1964 - 02 Aug 1966
BG James L. Baldwin02 Sep 1966 - 19 Oct 1967
BG Samuel McC. Goodwin18 Nov 1967 - 31 Oct 1969
BG Harold I. Hayward08 Nov 1969 - 10 Jul 1971
BG Raymond O. Miller11 Jul 1971 - 28 Feb 1973
BG Robert D. Stevenson03 Mar 1973 - 08 Aug 1974
MG R. Dean Tice09 Sep 1974 - 11 Jun 1976
BG Walter E. Adams11 Jun 1976 - 25 Aug 1978
BG William C. Moore25 Aug 1978 - 01 Aug 1980
BG John E. Rogers01 Aug 1980 - 17 Nov 1981
MG Leroy N. Suddath, Jr.17 Nov 1981 - 25 Jul 1984
MG Thomas N. Griffin, Jr.25 Jul 1984 - 03 Jun 1986
MG Jack D. Woodall03 Jun 1986 - 19 Aug 1987
MG C. G. Marsh19 Aug 1987 - 16 Nov 1989
MG Sidney Shachnow15 Dec 1989 - 14 Aug 1991
MG Walter H. Yates14 Aug 1991 - to the END of 1994

 

U.S. LICENSE PLATES

by Reinhard von Bronewski
photo courtesy of Mark Prüfer

The U.S. Forces maintained lots of vehicles in Berlin. There were military ( U.S. government) and private owned vehicles (POV).
On all military vehicles were different bumper markings visible.(white, later on black in color). They identified the unit, the company and the vehicle number. On the most of other vehicles (sedans, vans, station wagons etc.) were different license plates in use.
Andrews Barracks maintained an U.S. vehicle registration office.

U.S. Government vehicles, for example, Military Police -patrol cars or other vehicles from TMP (Transportation Motor Pool), used yellow plates.

Examples:

plates
plates
plates
plates
plates
plates
plates



© Berlin-Brigade.de